Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Special Community Quilt

 I forgot that I had signed up to quilt this quilt for a special exhibit at the Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History.  Consequently not much UFO sewing last week! But quilting this quilt was a great experience.  The exhibit is called "We're Still Here" or " Segui'mos Aqui".  It is an exhibit to help focus the struggles of Seniors in our community through Art and Stories,  and suggestions on how we can help.

Our guild set up a table with fabric squares, glue sticks, markers and relevant fabric prints that people could use to design their own squares expressing some aspects of what community means to them.  Then our guild members helped sew everything down.  There will be 5 quilts total produced.  Various Long-armers in the community volunteered to quilt these quilts during the exhibition. This one that I quilted is #4.
Here's the label.  I think all of these quilts will be put into the permanent collection of the Museum.
I confess I had not been to the museum in several years but I went twice to see this exhibit and it was very inspiring.  Community work can be sad and challenging especially for groups like Seniors where there resources can be so limited.   But the museum staff did a great job of shedding light on the problems of Seniors without being maudlin.
I think visitors must have had a really good time with the block project because there were well over 500 squares made  (my guesstimate).
Here are some of the squares up close.



I did not always get the connections of image with words but I just tried to highlight and outline things.
Like I said,  not much UFO sewing last week but this project was a lot of fun.
This week my grand kids are here for a visit so I probably won't get much sewing done either but I'm having a great time with my grand kids!  
cheers,  CW


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful project and this quilt is fabulous! It must have been hard to quilt around all those little appliques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I was not sure what to do but mostly it just quilted itself. And oulining things with the long arm is easy. cheers!

      Delete