Friday, October 9, 2020

More Thank You Blocks

A couple of years ago I got a huge pile of Blocks from my fellow guild members as a Thank You for being the the Quilt Show Chairperson.  People went all out,  I think I received well over 200 blocks!  Some people were Extra generous and gave me Whole Stacks of blocks.  This top-in-progress was one such stack.  I think this collections was definitely from some 'Block of the Month'  drawing based on the size variation.  But that's OK with me!  Life is not perfect. My quilts are definitely not perfect.  I can cope with a little size variation!

Since I've been working on quilts for people who've lost their homes in the Santa Cruz Fire I've been going through my stash of 'Thank you' blocks to find groupings that will make bed size quilts.  And with a little help these blocks fit the bill.

I took this pic before I started sewing the blocks together just to check on the overall balance.   It's a good thing 'cause I caught a problem.   The pale pink block in the middle left does not have enough contrast to the toile patch next to it!  I always try to take pix before I sew for this reason.  Sometimes you just can't see the lack of contrast or balance of a project when you are in the midst of it.  Photos help to objectify the design.
Something else I hadn't noticed 'til I was laying out the blocks was that there were actually 2 block types.  The upper right and left blocks are one pattern and the lower middle block is a different pattern!  From a distance you can't tell because they look the same but up close you can see they are pieced differently.
That doesn't bother me either.  They are all cute so go-with-it!

To expand the blocks to the needed size I found the romantic themed  Toile in my stash.  I thought that made a nice compliment to all the hearts.

Unfortunately I did not have enough for all the needed spaces.
But I recently saw a vintage quilt that had patches 
in between blocks in the center that were a different print than they were on the outer sides of the quilt.
 It was quite effective so I borrowed the idea!
At this point the top will be 75" square. 
I think it might need a border.
Maybe another Toile?!
We shall see ...
Stay safe,
Take care!
CW

4 comments:

  1. It’s called “make do” right? My favorite kind of quilt!
    (ps Berzerkistan got delivered to its new owners on Monday. It will be loved ... )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandy, Yup, mine too! I'm sure they will love Berzerkistan, and I hope they recognise how special, interesting and exceptional that quilt is! take care!

      Delete
  2. Wow—that’s a lot of hearts! Photos are essential in the design process (at least for me). Gray scale helps too. Very nice quilt that will make someone very happy!

    ReplyDelete