Monday, May 31, 2021

Pictorial Crazy Quilts

 I find these pictorial fabrics fascinating.  Barbara Brackman recently wrote a post on some really outstanding examples of some late 1800's pictorial cretone crazy quilts.  The link is below.http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/2021/05/pictorial-crazy-quilts-in-cretonne.html As they say a picture is worth a thousand words and in these quilts the fabric tells many stories about the history and the esthetics of their times.  I particularly like the one showing Oscar Wilde with his signature sunflower in this quilt.  

Here's a closer look.  Sorry it's not a great picture being blown up like that but you can see the figures and get the flavor of Oscar Wilde's 'dandy' posture and sunflower. 
There are several more patches in this quilt below that show Oscar with red background (upper left and lower right).   
Be sure to check out Barbara's post to see some more or these wonderful quilts. 

I would love to make a quilt in this 'flavor'  but here's the rub:  where to find fabrics suitable?  I have done a preliminary search of my stash.  I have plenty of floral type prints etc. from late 1800's but very few figurative examples.  I  searched Spoonflowers with some results but there seems to me to be a real shortage of these kind of prints.  Even the Toiles are not really plentiful or comparable to those figurative prints!  The quilt above does have some "cheaters" in it ; see the 6 pointed star with hexagons around it (lower left, lower right and upper right edge).  I have several that might qualify in my stash.   Any referrals to sources would be appreciated!  I will post some of my stash examples in my next post!
               I hope you can all enjoy the comfort of your family and friends on this Memorial Day!
                                                                        take care, cw


5 comments:

  1. Have you tried reproductionfabrics.com? I just did a quick look but it would take more perusing. This will be an interesting if challenging project. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sandy! I thought I knew every fabric store on the internet but I guess not. I'll check it out!

      Delete
  2. I think I have some toile fabrics--I'll look for them for you.

    Fascinating quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that Oscar Wilde would be so prominent on any quilt. Maybe they were made before he went to prison for being gay.

    ReplyDelete