Saturday, January 15, 2022

Rainy days in the Northwest provide lots of sew time!

 We made a quick trip up to our cabin on Hood Canal in Washington this week.  It is so much fun to see the Olympics in all their snowy glory!   Sunday when we arrived it was a beautiful sunny day and everything covered in snow.  It was so pretty!  But on Monday PM it started to rain and continued through Thurs. AM!  Which gave me plenty of time to get out my sewing machine!

I did not want to take my Quilt Show projects with me for fear of leaving something behind so I just brought a few small projects (oh so many choices amongst many of my UFOs!)   

First up is a project I started maybe 5 or 6 years ago.  I had bought a fat quarter bundle of this very flashy fabric line by Jan Mullen for Marcus Brothers and thought I would use Sujata Shah's approach to the "Cross roads" p.59 block pattern (see her book "Cultural Fusion Quilts").  After I made about 20 blocks it was kind of turning out very busy, even for me!  I lost interest and into the Freezer it went.  But I dug it out on this occasion thinking another 20 blocks or so and it will make a decent sized quilt for a Camp Erin quilt ( and it will be done!)

See what I mean about the busyness?!
I'm liking it better now that it's almost done and hopefully some young person will just love the bright busyness of it all!
Next 2  tops were inspired by some flannel 'left overs' that I purchased from the guild Flea market.  I use the term 'Left overs' because they were bundled together and they were clearly fabrics chosen to go-together and cut in certain sizes er-go;  leftovers from someone else's project. I think of them as Pre-cuts at flea market prices!  It's a win-win!
It was not a huge amount of fabric but just enough for a kid quilt:
I think a border on the top and bottom will finish it off.  These projects are fast and fun and make great donation quilts!
This one was also some left over squares.  It's only 24"square so I need to find some fabric for the border.
I just love these juvenile prints, they are so sweet.
Alas, it was as I said a 'quick trip" so yesterday we traveled back home.  Here's a view of those Snowy Olympics I was talking about.
Not so much snow as there had been Sunday. But after 3 days of rain you can still see there outline.  I'm guesstimating here, but I think our cabin is some where in the vicinity below the lower tip of the plane wing if you could follow it down to the peninsula side of the Hood Canal?!
Have a great week!
take care, cw

6 comments:

  1. I love the first quilt! It looks like it wanted to be busy! I’m sure that the kid who gets it will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! I think your right it "wanted to be busy"! thanks!

      Delete
  2. I think that quilt is sensational! I don't think it looks busy at all, so what does that say about me? You certainly make the most out of flea market finds. Those other tops are wonderful as well. Glad you got a chance to get "uptah camp" as they say here in Maine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I've never heard that expression but I definitely understand the meaning! Take care, cw

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quilt, Claire. I need to get that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a great book. I love Sujata's sense of color!

      Delete