Saturday, August 21, 2021

Godey's Lady's Magazine

 Well,  I haven't gotten much sewing done this month.   But I have been reading!  I thought I'd share this article I found about Sarah J. Hale.  We quilters have all heard of "Godey's Lady's Book". It's always referenced as the first magazine to have published a quilt block pattern.  Here's a bit of the background of the genesis of that venerable publication and it's woman editor! 

Here's the intro to the excerpt taken from Delanceyplace.com:

Today's selection -- from Lady Editor: Sarah Josepha Hale and the Making of the Modern American Woman by Melanie Kirkpatrick. Sarah Josepha Hale was the first female editor of a magazine, a publication called The Ladies’ Magazine, which was owned by the Rev. John Lauris Blake of Boston. She presided as editor from 1828 to 1836, when it was acquired by Philadelphia’s Louis Antoine Godey and merged with the Lady's Book and Magazine, better known by its later name, Godey's Lady's Book. Hale moved from Boston to Philadelphia to edit the new, combined magazine from 1837 to 1877.

The excerpt was taken from the Delanceyplace.com website.  I think I've mentioned Delancey Place a few times.  It's this wonderful website.  Each weekday they post an excerpt from a book.  The selections range widely; History, Finance, Art, Science, politics, philosophy etc.  The selections are usually fairly short only a page or two but they generally give a flavor of the book (better than any review) and I always learn something new!  
If you would like to read the whole excerpt from this book go to the August 20, post of the website.  
Here's the link to the website:
Did I mention,  to subscribe it's FREE!
Happy reading!
take care, cw

No comments:

Post a Comment