Saturday, March 25, 2017

Go West Young Man!

My friend Lynn was expecting her baby in April.  But Baby Vincent decided to arrive early so this project became a rush job!  I asked Lynn what color/ theme/style of quilt she would like for her sweet baby and she said she did not care so much about the style as long as it had something to do with California.

Lynn grew up in California and her parents still live here but she went off to NYU to Grad school about 10 years ago.  I think she really enjoyed living in New York City for a number of years but as the time for parenthood grew near she realized she'd really like to be closer to her parents,  And back in the Sunshine state!
                     I knew right away I had the perfect fabric for the project!  Randy over at     http://barristersblock.blogspot.com gave me this fabric a while back for my B-day!   I thought the                                    "Welcome to California" signs fit Lynn's request perfectly!
      And with a little applique magic I turned the aerial sign into a special message to Lynn's baby!
 I quilted it with those wavy lines I've been quilting lately.  I think it worked just as well with this                                                     fabric motif as with the triangle quilt here .
I used a wonderful fleece backing to make it extra squishy.  The motif is a nod to the new babies dad who is of East Indian heritage.
                  
    It is really a simple construction, but when I make baby quilts I want them to be loved and cuddled                                     and as I said Baby Vincent caught me (and his parents) by surprise!
                                                                 Have a Great Weekend!
                                                                      Cheers, Claire W.

6 comments:

  1. That fabric reminds me of those California tourism commercials that show all the iconic Cali things and activities. Great way to fulfill Mom's request.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt, so imaginative!!! I am sure it will be loved for a long time! Take care from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. So blessed to have the perfect fabric for this baby's quilt!! Not terribly polite for Vincent to make such an early entrance...catching everyone off balance for sure!! Well done in getting this personalized quilt finished so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable and perfect for a CA baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect. Love the personalized banner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! I love that fabric too; there'll be loads for Vincent to look at as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete