Thursday, June 29, 2017

Almost 20 years...and finally done!

Most of the blocks in this quilt were made in a row by row swap with my small quilt group in about 1998.  We each put together a basket of coordinating fabrics. Each month the baskets circulated to a different member.  Each person chose a block design to make 5 blocks from each basket. One person chose stars, another nose gays etc.  
Funny thing is these were not my blocks. 
These are my friend Esther's
 blocks.  In about 2014 Esther decided to clean out her stash and move on to other hobbies.  
She gave me a big box of stuff to donate to the guild.
Of course I got first pick.
I found these blocks partly sewn together with some companion fabrics and so I finished the top.
The house blocks were my original contributions.  I made a few more and added some trees with the leftover fabrics so I could add an extra row to make it a better shape for a lap quilt. About 54" x 60".
When I finished the top I put it away for awhile...Well 3 years, LOL!
I finally got it out and quilted it recently.
I pieced the back.
A great stash buster! I'm trying to do that with all my quilts now.
Some of the quilting made really fun patterns on the back.  It's nice when that works!
Sometimes orphan blocks just get to looking to dated to bother with.  But I think these fabrics still look fresh and appealing!
I think this quilt might make a good donation to Hospice for their auction?!
Almost 20 years but worth the rescue!
What's your favorite block rescue?
cheers, CW


3 comments:

  1. Great rescue!! I'm sure hospice will be thrilled with the quilt in their auction!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pulling old UFOs out recently and finishing them, too. This one is lovely and, coming from a friend, has more meaning to you. Congratulations on a great donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the finish! I recently got a quilt done for a former co-worker. She had one hand pieced star block from an Aunt and wanted me to save it someway. I made a wall hanging with it and after 20+ years I finished it recently. I have been trying to work on my UFO list and I would say the oldest item is a log cabin quilt top I pieced in the late 70's. I don't even want to calculated the years! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete