Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Top Finished!

  In 2014 we remodeled and winterized our little cabin in Washington state.  Prior to that the cabin was just for summer use and it would get pretty musty over the winter so I never left quilts there during the winter for fear they too would get smelly.  But after the remodel I figured it was time to make some quilts for the cabin because we'd be going there more often and with insulation we could even go in the winter!
I have accumulated a lot of flannel scraps and I thought what better way to use them than to make a                                                                      Log Cabin quilt!
OK, the blocks are a little wonky but I just took the strips as they came and I had a lot more darks than lights so I added extra darks where I needed them in order to make the right size for the blocks, a'la Amish style.

 I sewed and I sewed and I made 64- 9" blocks in a short period of time.  I thought that would be big enough for our queen size bed at the cabin.  But when I got it on the design wall I realized it was just not big enough! Grrrrr!
But the problem with making a big quilt is if you want to increase the size by one or two rows;  that's a lot of Blocks!!  36 to be exact!  That is more than half-again as many as I had already made.  And that is where the project stalled out.  I've worked on it intermittently since 2015 but then this Winter I really Felt the need for a proper quilt for our cabin bed and that got me sewing again.

Last week I finished all the blocks.  As I started to lay them out I wonder about which way to do it.  Light sides on the edge...
Or dark sides?
I decided on the dark side (no Star Wars innuendo intended).
It just "looks" better.
Now the quilt is about 90" square.  A decent size for a queen size bed!
Here is the final iteration!
Yeah!  Another scrappy adventure draws to a scrappy happy conclusion!
Have a great week!
Claire W.


9 comments:

  1. The log cabin quilts do take a great deal of extra time and fabric when you try and expand the size of the quilt! Been there, done that.:) Yay for another great finish! This will be a cozy welcome at your cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about increasing the size by a row or two. Its like, what? HOW many more blocks?? Grrr indeed - lol!
    Your quilt looks perfect for your cabin. I love all the plaids in there, and the flannel will make it super cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! And I realized after I posted I got the math wrong it was actually 40 blocks, but whose counting?! Me! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your log cabin quilt looks perfect for your cabin! I really like the scrappy look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lot of work, it looks so good, it will be perfect for snuggling under in cooler months. Thanks for linking to Sew Stitch Snap SHARE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love a great log cabin quilt! It will be perfect for your WA getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made that mistake before - thinking it will just be a small matter to make a quilt bigger. This was worth the effort though: I love how it has turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another winner. What a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete