Saturday, April 14, 2018

Hot off the Design Wall

So those bright blocks on my design wall that were peeking out from behind the top quilt in my last post got put together, quilted and bound in record time.   I presented this quilt at NCQC (Northern California Quilt Council) at the April "Meet the Teachers" meeting.  The meeting is a chance for Teachers from all over Northern California to bring their samples to display.  Likewise Program people from guilds come from all over N. Cal to "Meet the Teachers" to see if they want to hire them for their Guild Programs.  I really wanted to get this Sampler quilt finished so I could pitch my new class "Free Form Curved piecing".  See earlier post here.

I'm really liking this technique!  It's so much fun and quick and easy!!!  Some of these blocks were made in Jan. when I did a demo. of the Free Form method at the NCQC Jan. meeting  and some of those blocks are in this quilt.  But in order to have enough blocks for this Sampler I had to make quite a few more blocks and I just whipped them right up 'cause this method is so easy.  No Templates, no rulers (except for squaring up and sashing).  It's just so much fun  I keep wanting to figure out how to make different blocks!
I quilted it all Free Hand so the quilting is a bit wonky and at first I was thinking it was going to be terrible but when I was finished (and stood back a few steps)  I thought it looked OK.  It kind of matched the Free Form of the piecing?!
Well anyway it's done and I was able to take it to the meeting and introduce my new Class idea!
Here are some other examples where I applied this technique.



I think I'd like to make a whole quilt out of blocks like this!
Well enough writing,  Time to go sew!!
Happy weekend!
Cheers, CW

4 comments:

  1. Great looking sampler! Love the happy look to it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like so much fun that I want to make some too! I would definitely take this workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've crossed into the realm of modern quilter, Claire!!
    GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bright colors and the free form style is just do different from what I do, its quite intriguing.

    ReplyDelete