Sunday, April 8, 2018

My Design Wall, I had to Laugh!

So!  I went to take a pic of the quilt in the middle of this photo thinking that I would simply crop out all the other projects, but when I went to look at it on my computer I had to laugh at all the layers of production that were going on.  Rather like an archeological dig through my sewing behavior.

On top is the Finished quilt that I intended to show.

The bright blocks peeking around the edges on the sides of the central quilt are some sampler blocks I've been working on intermittently while finishing the central project.  I posted something about this back in Jan.  I hope to finish this soon....

Then the borders for my Flannel project which I have not moved for fear I would abandon the project as soon as it was out of sight because I have taken on the daunting task (for me anyway) of Appliquéing these borders.  What was I thinking?!

And finally on the top and to the right are some mostly solid squares for a modern quilt design that I have mostly lost interest in but I think if I keep it in my sight I will eventually get it together.....
Well I suppose I should simply celebrate the finishes that I do Finish!
I used a very simple squiggly line to quilt this piece and I backed it with a nice soft cotton stretch knit.  Here's a good example of Keeping The Quilting Simple.  You can hardly see the quilting on the printed fabrics (it runs along the seam lines).  Doing any fancy quilting would be a waste of time.
Well it may not be the most efficient system in the world but it works for me.
Are you wondering how I keep everything stuck onto the wall?
I have a big piece of white flannel hemmed and then thumb tacked every 8" or so at the very top of the wall.
Single layers of fabric will cling to the flannel simply through Static forces but if I want to attach something heavier, like the quilt in the center I simply pin it on.
I know some people like having some cork board or something behind the flannel but I find the simple flannel back provides more flexibility.
I feel very fortunate to have the space and resources to leave things in view.
It helps me keep track and stayed focused (more less).  Oh stop laughing, OSL!
Have a great week!
Cheers, CW

3 comments:

  1. Great projects and I love your color choices. I really like your design wall. I use flannel back tablecloths and can pin the cloth to the wall or to a curtain valance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just shows how industrious you are! I love that squiggly serpentine stitch for simple quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of the squiggle too. I splurged and bought a quilting flannel design wall. Still not sure it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete