Sunday, November 10, 2019

Sampler top finished

These blocks were mostly generated in a Beginners Piecing class I taught last year.  I made to sets of blocks.  One was with French General fabrics for a more traditional look and the other was this set of blocks for a more Modern look.  I lost interest in the French General fabs fairly early on but I was intrigued by the possibilities of the Modern fabs so I kept making more blocks and this is the result.

I think it mostly works but I was going for asymmetry.  I might have gone a bit to far.  It's funny how you don't see certain things until you see a photo of it.  I think I might carry that bottom dark border all the way to the corner.  That might help contain the design a little better.
Oh well,  live and learn!
I'm still scratching away at my UFO's and getting things done.  That feels really good!!!
Have a great week!
Cheers, CW

4 comments:

  1. Fun quilt, Claire! I love seeing traditional blocks made in more modern colors. If you don't mind a suggestion... I'm thinking a slightly darkish border - not all the same fabric - all the way around, might be the thing to reign in all those wonderful sampler blocks, and give the quilt more visual structure. Right now my eye wants to run off the edge, or down to those dark strips. But that's just me, and what the heck do I know? Lol! Meanwhile I'm tempted to offer to take those French General blocks off your hands, but I'd have to actually get "out of the box" to do something with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give that an Audition and let you know! cheers, cw

      Delete
  2. I like it as it is. Of course, I like asymmetry in quilts!!! I quite agree with you with the French General fabrics...the colors are a bit muddy for my taste. I like the modern, saturated colors much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Ya I think I might be over the those French General fabs. I'm into Bright and Cheerful!

    ReplyDelete