Monday, March 9, 2020

What's more fun; Starting an new project or Finishing an old one?

For me starting new projects is way more more fun than finishing.  On the other hand finishing something that's been hanging around for awhile is very satisfying!  My self imposed program of no-more-new-projects-'til- further- notice continues but I've decided to cut myself a little slack now and then.  So my pix today have a few finishes and one "Quick Start".

First from the UFO file:
This UFO represents some serious ancient history.  I could not remember when I finished this top.   I went back in my photo archives to find a date 'cuz I generally take a picture when I finish a top but I could not find a picture which means it was  probably finished before 2013.  That's when my old computer was stolen.  Before that my records are kinda sketchy.  Anyway the top was probably 10yrs. old give or take a year.
I know it looks like a pretty basic quilt.  Why wait so long to finish?   I found in my teaching that it was a lot easier to transport tops as class examples than finished quilts.  I could cart around a lot of samples that way.  This one was suppose to illustrate a type of strip piecing.  I'm not doing much traveling these days so I'm trying to finish some of the old class samples and give them away.
Flannel front and back makes for a very snuggley kid quilt!
Next up is this T shirt quilt I finished for my daughter.
Pretty wild I know but that's kinda how T-shirt quilts are right?  It's the nostalgia we're going for here not the art work....
"Inner Vision is the Physician, art is the Prescription." 
It's hard to read but in the green iris of the eye it says, "Art Heals".
I tried wearing this T-shirt but there was too much paint on the front,  it felt like I was wearing a billboard.  But I do like the graphix and the sentiment and my daughter liked it to so we included it in the quilt.
I generally back my T-shirt quilts with a plush Throw.  This one felt particularly soft and wonderful!  Saves on batting too!
It's fun to quilt these on the long arm you can wonder around and create all kinds of drawings.  Even the mountains of Antartica  and an ice field for penguins to play in.
Last up is the "quick start" that I eluded to earlier.  This started as a backing for a quilt that I was preparing to quilt.  But then I found a nice flannel for that project so this backing became a quilt top.  I used up almost all the leftovers to make this top that were left from the large quilt in my previous post! 
It's funny how some fabrics keep coming back to delight (or haunt) you.  
Maybe I will get this one quilted sooner than later.  Ha!
Have a great week!
Peace, CW

10 comments:

  1. I like starting. I LOVE LOVE LOVE a finish! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the ultimate sense of accomplishment it's not sitting in a box somewhere you can use it or give it away!

      Delete
  2. That tshirt quilt is pretty groovy, Claire. Good on the finish, and the start, which was actually more of a repurpose, right? So you're still within your no start protocol. They both harken back to the ''60's. ✌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groovy! Now there's a word I have not used in awhile but it does apply to the T-shirt quilt! Thanks for the rationalization. Does that mean as long as I'm using scraps and leftovers it's not starting a "new" project?! I can live with that!!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I don't think 2013 is that old. And, I think I still have some of that poodle fabric! Great finishes. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right it's really not that old. I've got other projects still waiting that are much older.
      That poodle fab is cute! It's hard to find cute flannel kid fabs that aren't comic book oriented. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Hmmmm, depends upon my mood as to which is more fun! And speaking of fun...so is that T-shirt quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starting is very exciting, but yeah, finishing up an oldie moldie has it's own special thrill too. You are definitely wading through the stack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I spin my wheels A LOT, but I really am trying to "finish" down the UFO pile of tops!
    I don't mean to sound whiney but sometimes it is pretty overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete