Saturday, August 1, 2020

9,000 masks, 500 gowns and counting...

My local guild has made more than 9,000 masks since March!  I imagine a lot of you have similar stories.  If it's one thing we quilters know how to do it's sew and sewing for a cause gets us sewing!  The masks were distributed to a variety of service organizations around our community;  Senior homes,  Clinics, Health department etc.  But once the Health Department heard we could could sew (and for free) they asked us if we would sew hospital type gowns!  Here's the first batch being delivered.  
These are not for hospital use but for their employees performing other Covid related services that the Heath department is involved in.
I sewed 5 of those burgundy shade gowns.  Unfortunately the fabric was some nasty polyester cr__.  It's not what I'd call "fun" sewing but if it helps I'm willing to pitch in.
So that picture was taken a month or so ago.  The health department liked / needed the gowns so much they asked us to make some more.  Here's my silly DH modeling a gown from the second batch.
As you can see he's not shy!
The gals who are coordinating the project asked if people with sergers could sew 10 gowns as the finished edges are a must with this flimsy material and sergers are the ideal machine for that purpose.
 I have a serger.  Kind of a leftover from my garment sewing days. lol
I never named this machine.  But since I've spent so much time with 'her' lately I might have to!   My old Long arm machine was "Nelly Bell".  A node to the old TV show Sky King.   My new Long Arm came with the name "Lucy" which I like to think of as Lucy MacGillycuddy. 
Maybe, Cleo, that has a nice ring,  it was the name of the basset hound that talked only to the Camera in that old TV show.  I think the show was called The Peoples Choice?!
 That certainly dates me! 
Why do I remember stuff like that and I can't even remember where I left my keys! grrrrrr!
Well I haven't gotten much other sewing done lately....
But I have High hopes for next week!!
Stay safe and healthy,
and take care, cw




















6 comments:

  1. You took me down memory lane with those tv shows, Claire. How about Sea Hunt? What was the name of his boat? I also made a stack of those horrid gowns. Pure torture. I was told something different about their use, which is still a mystery. I would not be surprised, or offended, if they all end up in the landfill. When archeologists discover them in the future, they’ll know they reached the “COVID” era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I remember Sea Hunt, I don't remember the name of the boat but the actor was Lloyd Bridges! Yes that fabric was really nasty. The second round was some kind of white sheeting it was not so bad. I'm really glad that chore is Done! cheers! cw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good for you and your group! That is a lot of sewing! I'm not sure my machine knows how to use fabric like that - wink! I am a bit tired of mask making so I am going to try caps next. And, BTW, I love vintage TV. I have several episodes of Sky King and all episodes of Seahunt. The name of his boat was the "Argonaut". I believe it was a Trojan. It underwent restoration a while back in California I think. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, I'm really over the mask making, fortunately other people in my community got that one covered. Plus it seems they are for sale everywhere now!
    Wow, Wendy, Stands to reason you would know the name of his boat And that it underwent restoration, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, do I ever agree about sewing those gowns with that fabric. My poor old serger is yellowed with age but she did the job well. Give me quilting cotton any day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree 100%! You probably heard: the Health dept. were soooo Happy with this batch they are thinking of doing another round! No good Deed goes unpunished! They might have reached the end of my good Samaritan sewing....

    ReplyDelete