Thursday, October 22, 2020

Iowa State Quilt Museum

As I mentioned in my last post one of my stops was in Winterset, Iowa.  The home of the Iowa Quilt Museum.
I first learned of this museum reading a post on Barbara Brackman's Material Cultures Blog Last Summer. She helped to put together an exhibit there called "Out of Control;  Quilts that break the rules".  Read more here .
The quilts looked like so much fun!  I really wanted to see that exhibit.  Alas it closed Oct. 5th before I could get on the Road.  But I did check out the museum Webpage and there was a virtual gallery walk which was very interesting.  I figured if I could get myself on the road I would definitely try to make a stop at the Museum.
The current exhibit at the museum features Two-Color Quilts.  Not quite as exciting as "Out of Control Quilts"  but definitely worth a visit!
An overview of the interior from the balcony looking back towards the entrance.  The Museum is actually in the old J.C. Pennies building of Winterset.  It is quite charming with pressed tin ceiling tiles, old wood floors and staircase and an old style balcony.
This was the first quilt as you enter the gallery.
I don't think I've ever heard of a Fundraiser quilt raising that much $$$$!
The quilts were mostly red and white or blue and white.  While the designs were mostly pretty straight forward a lot of them were amazingly quilted.
I included my thumb for scale it's not the best reference but you get the idea.  That grid is less than 1/2"!
There were several Red Work quilts. 
This one was really spectacular!
I confess I was not familiar with Helen Ericson's work.  But it is really impressive!
I thought this indigo fab was really pretty and so well preserved!
Up in the balcony were a number of educational exhibits.  Including this self-guided bed turning!
Imagine!  Now that's what I call trusting!
I did not have time to do the bed turning but I Really like this quilt!  It could have easily been in that All-Red-and-White-Quilts exhibit in New York, don't you think?!
And I think there was one like this in the NY exhibit.
I just love both of these quilts!
So Graphic!!!
Well if you are ever passing through Southwest Iowa I highly recommend taking the time to stop by this wonderful little Gem of a Museum!
TTFN
take care, CW


 

5 comments:

  1. Oh goody, another quilt show with my morning coffee! You show some pretty spectacular quilts here Claire, especially the sawtooth medallion with the teeny tiny quilting. I had to smile at the DIY bed turning. ☺️ Sorry you missed the “out of control” exhibit, though. What a cool old building. Is it just my perception, or was it pretty much empty when you visited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great show and space! I was the only one in there , but it was just 'opening', 10;00am. take care!

      Delete
  2. Someday I'll get there since it is about 3.5 hours from me. I just never get over to that end of the state anymore.
    It was interesting to see that Ruby Kim nursery rhyme quilt. I have had one with that same embroidery in my quilting queue for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love Ruby Mckim's designs! I have seen those designs somewhere I think her renderings are so clever. It was fun to see them in person. I don't think I would tackle a the design as a whole but I'm definetly planning on picking out a few blocks to include in my Blue work quilt. take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What spectacular quilts! If you hadn't known about the out of control exhibit, you would have really considered your self lucky, especially with your interest in old quilts. I LOVE 2-color quilts. I'm gobsmacked by all those half-square triangles feathering around. I'm so glad you stopped and took pics!

    ReplyDelete