Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Fiddling Around

 I hope you are all enjoying this Holiday Season!

Holiday craziness is hard for me but I understand why people love it.  That said I've still found some time for sewing so here's the latest from my sewing room:

We had to make a quick trip to our family cabin.  I Wanted something really easy for a sewing project so I brought a bunch of pre-cut Squares.  I really like the way this one turned out.

It will be around 50" x 60" after some borders.

On a different note...My daughter and her husband are expecting their first child in March so I have been spending time pondering what kind of baby quilt to make.
Naomi likes everything Modern and neutral so she usually doesn't like my quilts which are so often loud and asymmetrical.
So I'm just going to have to punt.
I bought a panel of 'Monkeys jumping on the bed' a long time ago thinking I would make a baby quilt for one of my grand kids some time or other.  Naomi always loved that rhyme / chant.  
Here's what the original panel looked like:
I forgot that it was supposed to be one of those soft books.  I did not like the substitute of "funky" for "little". Which is the way I remembered the rhyme.  So I decided to dissect out the blocks I liked and write my own text.
Here's what I've got worked out so far:
I bought a packet of laserjet "printable fabric" from EQ.  It printed ok but it was very faint after the rinsing process so I just went over the print very carefully with a sharpie marker.  When I rinsed them again the printing stayed nice and dark!  Gotta love those Sharpies!
  I still need to figure out a border but it is coming along.
I figure if Naomi, really really doesn't like it I'll keep it at my house for when the baby comes to visit.

It's been cold and rainy the past couple of days.  That weather brings out the squirrel in me.  I've been trolling through my orphan projects for my own entertainment for about 2 days now. 
I think it's time I finished this project.
The rows are half sewn together.  I might have a fighting chance of finishing this one before the New Year!
The border is going to be tricky.  I would let it be; but it's not quite big enough.  You can see some of the fabrics I'm auditioning, I'm thinking the teal in the upper right corner?!  

I hope you all have Happy Holidays!
take care, cw




No comments:

Post a Comment