Tuesday, January 17, 2017

PVQA January Block of the Month 2017

This month's BOM is a simple 16 patch; but, the approach in color distribution makes it quite different from a checkerboard style 16 patch.  I got this idea from http://cathyscrazybydesign.blogspot.com/.  Cathy has a lot of great ideas for rainbow colored scrap quilts this block is just one of them. If you scroll down her post from last week goal #7 you will find her version of this block.

Choose 1 color per block of medium or dark shades of red, blue, yellow, purple, orange or green. The 12 patches around the outside of the block are all from one color family.  The 4 patches in the middle of the block should all be different and chosen from light grey solids, light grey prints, white background with small amounts of black / grey prints or white on white prints.
Cut 12- 3” patches in one color family.  The patches can be all different or have a few repeats. Cut 4- 3” patches of the grey / white fabrics.  All 4 of these should be different.
- Lay out your patches according to the photo.   Sew in the sequence indicated and press away from the light center patches. 
 I know some people might sew the above units into 4 rows but I think you have a better chance of making those center seams line up properly by sewing 4- 4 patches.
Press the last two center seams open...

                                            that way the block will lay really flat in the middle.
These blocks go together really fast, it took me longer to choose all the different scraps than it did to sew them!  I'm not a huge fan of rainbow colored quilts but these blocks are so highly graphic I thought it might be a good way to go.
I'm off to India on Weds.  I'm going Tiger Spotting (not to be confused with Tiger hunting!),  Wish me luck! I will post pix on Instagram. (ClaireWitherspoon@cspoonquilt)
Cheers, CW



5 comments:

  1. Oh! I like this block. Simple, and also a great way to use up some scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this way of arranging the colours; it's a stronger look that you usually get with these blocks. Am enjoying your photos of India!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great block! and Tiger Spotting, you obviously have a very interesting life! good luck on your trip and take care, from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Sorry for my slow response! I got way behind in my bloging while overseas! cheers, cw

    ReplyDelete