Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Happy 100th B-day to Bea!

An acquaintance from Guild, Bea Casey,  is turning 100 years old in August.  Some of her family and friends made blocks for her and put together this quilt.  I quilted it as my part of the present. Of course with a name like Bea (Beatrice) most of the blocks had a very Bee theme. Some of the blocks were so imaginative....
Being a beginning bee keeper, myself, it was great fun to study all the different blocks. This one is my favorite! 
 Bea really is a Queen.  She is such a wonderful person.  She is a long time quilter.  I think she might even be a charter member of the guild.  PVQA turns 40 this year!  Bea always volunteers to help at the Fair.  For many years she brought her Treadle sewing machine and demo'ed how to use it.
These kind of straw based hives are not allowed in the USA anymore.  I'm not sure why except that in order to harvest the honey you have to completely disassemble them which technically kills the hive. 
I thought this was a clever paper pieced pattern.


I quilted it very simply.  Stitch in the ditch and a little outlining.  It was fun!
Have a great week!
Cheers, Claire W.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. 100? I had no idea. Maybe we should sing happy birthday at the meeting. You're right, Bea is a charter member. But think about it ... she was already sixty then!

    Very cool quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great B quilt and the perfect way to mark the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! What a wonderful tribute. Happy Birthday Bea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful quilt! It was good of you to quilt it, and I'm sure you enjoyed the close-up look.

    ReplyDelete