Monday, February 26, 2018

Quiltcon Pix #1

I'm back home!  I had a wonderful time at QUILTCON and my head is full of lots of ideas and information.
 I have so many pix to share! This first category of quilts was my favorite and (to me) the most interesting!   There were well over 50 quilts in the Charitable Challenge.  Modern Quilt Guilds from all over North American and some from overseas responded to the challenge to make a Charitable quilt (to be donated to the Charity of their choice) of an original Modern design using this limited palette.
One was more spectacular than the next! The juxtaposition of so many large quilts from such a wide spread number of groups all focused on the same basic challenge was fascinating!  It was an interesting visual commentary on both the talent and charity of quilters in general.
Here is a sampling of about half of what I saw.  In most cases for the sake of Brevity I have included only the name of the group and the title.   But I did take pix of all the descriptions so if you see one you'd like to know more about just leave me a comment and I'll send you the info.  These were almost all bed sized.

                                         Well... I guess I have to start with my home town favorite
                                                   South Bay Area MQG  "Orange Smile"
I include this quilt next because as I was taking a picture of this quilt when a woman came up and asked if I had worked on it?  She had made a block for it and she had never met any of the other contributors 'cause it had all been arranged online.  She had come all the way from Alaska for the show!
Here's the full description.
Central Virginia MQG, no title
Inland Northwest Modern Quilters, "Stillwater and Cottonwood" 
This next pic is just a section of what was a completely pieced muslin background with lots of improv. stitching.
Kansas City MQG, "Just One More Stitch" 
Wichita MQG, "Just a Little Wind" 
Central Iowa MQG, "Pickle Party" 
Cambridge MQG, "Radiant Nine Patch" 
Sydney (Australia) MQG, "Under the Milky Way Tonight"
New Jersey, " Star Power"
Houston MQG, "Houston Strong - Bright Days Ahead" 
Silicon ValleyMQG, "Orchard Through Time" 
Eastern Peacers, "Gather Round" 
North Bay, "Tipsy Stars" 
Chicago MQG,"Chicago Star Remix" 
Southern Connecticut MQG, "What is a Modern Quilt?" 
"Hang Five" a small quilt group of Central FloridaMQG, "Florida Waves" 
Capital District MQG, " #Churndash goes #Hashtag" 
Description below.... 

Pittsburgh MQG, " Greek Confetti" 
South Sound MQG, no title
Brisbane MQG, "Capricornia Sunrise" 
(one of my favorites!)

Los Angeles MQG, " Pickle Platter" 
Ottawa MQG, " Modern Geometry" 
SewIMQs, " Mountains of Hope" 
Madison MQG,  no title 
Calgary MQG, " Fireworks" 
Rochester MQG, " Make it Modern" 
Temecula MQG, description below 
Sew Euro Modern, description below 
You can see taken together it was a Stunning display!
Have a great week!
cheers, CW








7 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bunch of fun improve quilts...the quilting makes them spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...love the piecing, stories and the quilting!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT quilts. Very inspiring!! And the quilting on them was also superb!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for posting this series of pics from the quilt show! I adore these colors, in fact I have a small stack of fabrics marinating right now in similar colors! Such beautiful quilts to be given for charity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Quiltcon posts - next best thing to being there myself. Thanks for sharing your selection, there are some very cool things here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was tickled to see the one from Sydney titled "Under the Milky Way Tonight." It is no doubt a tribute to (my favorite) Australian rock band, The Church.

    I do regret not making the effort to go to Quilt Con while it was on the West Coast. But... how could I miss our own show??

    ReplyDelete