Monday, March 26, 2018

Flannel Progress

I got my Applique border figured out!
I knew I wanted to have a vine so I looked at straight vs S shaped.
Even tho' the S shape would be more work it definetly looked better.
Here's how I make an S shaped vine without measuring.
I cut a length of paper to match the border.
I fold it over until I get something close to the interval I want.
When the paper is folded I trim it to the same width as the border.
I mark a line down the middle and draw a gentle S curve.  I just eye ball it.  The middle line helps me keep it symetrical.  Notice the top of the line defines the outside edge of the curve / vine. 
Then I cut on that line.
I lay the cut curve strip on the border fabric and lightly trace the curve onto the fabric. The stright edge of the paper is the outside edge of the border as a guide.

There are many ways to cut the vine.  This time I used extra wide bias strips,  folded them in half and folded the raw edges under,  it makes for a very substantial vine.
Pin that to the penciled line and you are ready to sew!
I machine sewed this vine with a straight stitch as close to the edge as possible on both sides.
I'm thinking about varying the motifs on the vine (so I don't lose interest).
Like all things this is going to take much longer than I had expected! LOLOLOL 
We shall see...
Have a great week!
cheers, CW


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful choice. I like your beefy vine very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Thanks for the tutorial, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice for your border - I much prefer your curvy vine.

    ReplyDelete