Saturday, July 13, 2019

The Glories of Orphan Blocks aka What a mess!!!

It is a tradition in my local Guild to make Thank You blocks at the end of our fiscal year (June) for those people on the Board who have had the most Challenging jobs; Pres. VP. BOM etc.   Since I was chief cook and Bottle washer for the Quilt Show this year my fellow Guild members were ready to make me Blocks of my choice,  but I decided to ask for Orphan Blocks instead.  I know that sounds a bit risky but I really enjoy putting these Orphans together to make Charitable quilts.  It's fun and challenging and really less work than trying to come up with projects of my own concoction.

So here they are in all their Eclectic glory!  I know, What a mess! 
But there is a method in my madness!  Just like any task in organizing:  start by separating things by their similarities and differences.

For example: All the Blue and Gold blocks.
All the 6" stars, there are about 15 of them!
And My favorite, Yucky Brown blocks.  I got a Whole lot of those! 
Some people gave me whole stacks of blocks.  Some enough to make decent sized top!  Were they left overs from a project, or BOM blocks that didn't make the 'cut'?  Who knows?
But it all looks like fun to me!
As daunting as this seems  it almost all ended up fitting in this bag!
I know some of these blocks have probably been hanging around for a long time.  Some are not quite the 'right' size or even well constructed (learner blocks?)   I made it easy on people.  They could raid their stashes blocks they didn't want anymore and I got a whole mish mash of blocks.  But I see loads or opportunity here.  It's a Win-Win!
I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Have a great Weekend!
cheers, CW


13 comments:

  1. I know you'll turn them into fantastic quilts that people will appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you don't have enough, I think I can spare a few to add to your collection!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks like fun! Wonder how many mish-mash quilts that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! You will have no end of fun making these into beautiful quilts, and I'm certain that the contributors were happy to move the blocks along as well. Win - win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Score! Sounds like you're in seventh heaven with all the possibilities. And judging from all the charity quilts you've made, as well as other quilts, you can come up with some very good quilts from this haul. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like the challenge, variety is the spice of life!!

      Delete
  6. LOVE your category of YUCKY BROWN blocks. I also collect orphan blocks and sort them the same way. Every once in a while I sort them according to size. Sorting by similarities works better for me. Happy creating! I'm sure you will make some very lovely projects. I'm sure you guild thanks you for being chief cook and bottle washer as well. That is an IMPORTANT job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I feel pretty appreciated. Especially when people are so generous!

    ReplyDelete