Tuesday, July 2, 2019

What size should a baby quilt be?

We had a conversation about size for Baby quilts at the All Stars charitable small quilt group recently.  They said 38" square was the smallest size for a baby quilt.  But I made this quilt from some orphan blocks awhile back and it's only 36" square,  I think that's an OK size for a new baby.  I was looking at some of my g-kids baby quilts and I don't think they are any bigger and the girls still drag them around and use them to snuggle all the time.
The center is made of 4 foundation pieced blocks with machine zig zag stitch to hold the scraps down.  I thought they were quite charming.
As usual I used flannel on the back to make it extra cozy. 
I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July!
cheers, CW


5 comments:

  1. The colors are so sweet! Very charming. I've made a couple smaller baby quilts before and find that the mothers will use them while the baby is very little and also, it ends up being a great quilt for over the car seat or in a stroller even as they get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! I had not thought about some of those other uses!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Claire, that could go on the wall! Lucky baby! I think the size is just right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I'm not sure it's up to hanging on a wall but I like the way the colors worked with the border. cheers!

      Delete
  3. It's plenty big and really great. The one that I just gifted was 40x40 with the size design driven but anything in that ballpark is fine. I personally like to gift a baby what I call a "stroller or car seat" quilt because as they grow they can still use it while they are out and about. Also square rather than rectangle is what I lean towards, there's no up or down and right way to orient it.

    ReplyDelete