Saturday, July 20, 2019

Origins of Orphan blocks aka I had to laugh!

Thanks to all the folks who left such kind and encouraging comments on my last post.  FYI  I don't get get notices in my email anymore so I have left my return comments in the comments area as well.

In my last post I mentioned that I received not only single blocks as "Thank You" blocks but some people gave me whole stacks of blocks. Enough to make a quilt top from one bundle!

Some looked like they were from Swaps  (they had names pinned to different blocks etc,) and some I recognized as former BOM blocks from my Guild. But when I came across the bundle of the blocks pictured here I had to laugh because these blocks were from a BOM that I was responsible for!

What kind of message was being sent here?  I don't remember who won the blocks we have 250 members in our guild and it was almost 4 years ago.

Did the giver remember that this block idea originate with me?  Or was it just a disconnect?  I suppose I could have been offended but the truth is, either way,  I sympathize with anyone who has ever tried to put together a collection of BOM blocks. My guild encourages beginners to participate.  But it does generate blocks that aren't perfect.
 
Whatever the reason I was glad for the opportunity to look back at my instructions in a different way and I enjoyed the challenge of putting this top together.

Here's the link to my instructions to this block:
http://cspoonquilt.blogspot.com/2015/11/pvqa-block-of-month-modern-kaleioscope.html

I tried as BOM coordinator to pick mostly beginner friendly blocks but sometimes I'd offer something for more experienced quilters.  In retrospect it may not have been a great choice.  Even tho' I thought it was an intermediate block I found it pretty challenging to get all the points in the right places when assembling the blocks.
This one's not to bad... But getting those eight points together is pretty tricky and if blocks aren't the right size points get loped off or off set or both! 

In the end I made 6 more blocks to get it to the size I wanted and two more blocks to replace two blocks that were way toooo small,  two more because the background fabrics way off and I rebuilt  about 4.   I'm not sure the variable background work out so well but all in all it will make a really nice donation quilt!

On ward to the next Orphan Block adventure!
Have a great weekend!
cheers, CW










3 comments:

  1. Such a funny way to get the blocks back around to you! I can see how the background would have been challenging to put together, but I do like the subtleties and shadows in that area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey! It was kinda strange but it was fun (and challenging) to put together!

      Delete
  2. I hear you about putting together blocks that multiple people made! I am not sure challenge covers it in some cases. Great recovery job.

    ReplyDelete