Friday, May 29, 2020

Lots of sewing and quilting!

I got a lot of sewing and quilting done last week but then the holiday weekend happened and I did not have time to post. 
My daughter and her boy friend came to visit and the weather was so nice we spent most of the time out doors.  My daughter also put in a request that I make one of her friends a baby quilt.  She just gave birth to Baby Leo last week.  Here tis:
I have collected so many cute kid fabrics in recent years that it was a real pleasure to browse them and find something to make for Leo!
I made a quilt last year for the grandchild of another friend and I had a lot of leftover blocks from that quilt.  I put them together last week thinking maybe I could use them for Leo's quilt but i showed Naomi the personalized design and it was a no brainer.
Here's that other top.  You can see the variety of kid fabs.  It still needs a border but it will be done soon!
Besides those two projects I also finished quilting that top I posted about a few weeks ago.  
I't's also half way bound!
I quilted it very simply with squiggly lines on the diagonal through all the squires and ditch work around each patch.
This last quilt was a top a friend asked me to quilt for one of our Guild's charitable groups.  It was a really odd size, 41" x 66".  I decided to give it a little snip and re-sew to make it a better dimension for a lap quilt.  I cut a strip off the bottom and top and sewed those two pieces at one end and then took that strip and sewed it along one side of the top.  Finished  45" x 57".  I think that's a much better dimension ?!  Of course it would have not been possible with many quilts but with these big scrappy patches it looks perfectly normal!
Some pretty dated fabrics in there but still a nice scrappy top.  I quilted it with a nice open all-over patten.  The gal who made the top wanted it to be donated to one of the kids projects but I think all those florals make it more of an adult quilt,  maybe for a hospice patient?
We shall see...
Have a happy healthy weekend!
cheers, CW

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love all those vintage scrappy fabrics! They look like Liberty fabrics. So delicious. Nice that you are having so much quilting time. I know Randy is missing your get togethers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, Yes some of them resemble Liberty of London fab. Yes I miss Randy but Sun River is so beautiful I can see why she prefers to shelter there. cheers!

      Delete
  2. I agree the pretty floral quilt would suit an older adult. Great save on it. And lucky little Leo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun time! Baby quilts are so satisfying. Love the gingham and floral pinwheels and squares quilt especially. Very cozy looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, baby quilts can be simple but people really appreciate getting something home made for the new baby, thanks!

      Delete
  4. So, so much quilt loveliness to be seen in this lovely post. Baby Leo's quilt is adorable; filled with fun fabrics and whimsy. I love the squiggly lines stitched through the diagonals of those squares....so fun.

    ReplyDelete