Sunday, June 7, 2020

A finish and more masks...

First the finish!  This is another blast from the past.  This top had to be at least 10 year old.  It's another one of my Strap Strategies class samples that I chose not to quilt because it was so much easier to cart around as a Top.  But now that I'm not teaching so much any more I'm getting those samples quilted so's I can give them away. 
Sometimes I get kind of attached to certain samples because they illustrate certain techniques or ideas that I have worked out for myself.  Those are a little harder to give away.  But I have lots of examples of this kind of scrappy kid quilt so I will heave a nostalgic sigh and let it go.
46" x 47"
There are so many fun fabrics in this quilt!  A lot of them are from K.P. Kids fabric line.  I remember when that frog fabric came out.  It's got to be late '90s.  I just loved it and the dot fabric too!
I quilted it like the scrappy quilt in my last post.  Easy loopy all over pattern.
And I pieced the backing too!
                                      It's nice to have another long term UFO done and donated!!
But what sew week would not be complete in these crazy times without a request for some masks?!  My daughter -in law emailed me last week and asked if I could make some masks for my grand kids. 

My grand children have been very sheltered from Covid-19 so far.  Being only 6 and 3.5 years of age they pretty much stay home, play in their own yard or go visit their other grand parents who thankfully live close by.  But when school resumes at the end of Summer the 6 year old may have to go to school wearing a mask so my daughter-in law thought it would be a good idea to get her use to wearing a mask.  She also asked if I could make some for various other family members.  So I spent a couple of days making these.
These are serial times when we have to be making mask for our G-kids!!!   I hope a vaccine can be developed soon. 
                                            Stay Healthy and safe!!
                                                            CW

4 comments:

  1. It seems strange small children wearing masks, doesn't it. I wonder how school children wearing a mask all day will fare. Love your quilt. It is zinging with fabulous pattern and bright and happy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve the scrappy quilt! I think we may have been together when you got a lot of those kid prints...
    And the masks are really sweet. What are you using for the ear-things? And your pattern? Mine are simple squares with ties. VERY basic. Are kids going to need masks in the fall? YIKES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Statistically speaking that is true! LOL. Considering all the shop hopping we do together!! I bought a big package of ponytail cloth covered elastic loops. I just kind of ease them into the side hems. that way I don't have to sew them. I will try to find the online Utube that I used as a guide and post it. I know how sad is that. I don't think kids will be going to school in the old traditional hours. Probably split classes and go half time at school and half time at home. but who knows?! But from what I've read so far remote teaching is not very effective. so sad!

      Delete