Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Something New!

It's still in the preliminary stages...
I found a stack of bright charm squares at the Guild Flea Market in Feb. and have been itching to make something out of them. 
I'm working on the idea of using them as a border to surround the more disorganized center that (below) that I started a while ago.
At the time I was just trying to find a way to use all the blocks that used plan white as the alternate patches.  Kind of a disorganized checkerboard.
I like the asymmetry but I think I'm going to have to make it square if it's going to be in the center.
I want to make a new quilt for our new bed.
We  had a Queen size bed for many many years. and bought a Cal. King bed in Feb.   I had been lobbying for this for a long time finally dh conceded we might be more comfortable with more space. Ha!
It will have to be really big to have a decent drape on the sides of the bed.
Maybe 110" square?!
We shall see...
Happy over the Hump day!
( Altho' these days seem to blend one to the next as we shelter so hump day may not be so relevant?!)
Take care!  cw



9 comments:

  1. 110"? Wow! And, I thought my Community Supper quilt was going to be big. This is going to be huge. I love where you are going with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Remember I have a long arm so quilting it won't be so difficult. How big id the Community Supper quilt going to be? Love the Name by the way!

      Delete
  2. I'd try this in an organized way: bright alternating with white or light. Maybe make/use some pieced blocks in bright squares. I would want a quilt for my bed to be calming in some way. You might make a "center" area the same size of the top of your bed, then do something different with the drop. You have likely thought of this! I know my bedquilt is very bright, but the design is organized/linear. You know what they say about advice: take what you like and leave the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the detailed ideas. I vacillate between wanting something bright and calm and also symmetric and asymmetric. But this is just one of several quilts I'm working on for my own bed. I have another that is all flannel and more less symmetrical for winter. My original goal was to have several quilts to rotate depending on the season and my mood. We shall see...

      Delete
  3. This is going to be such a lovely and happy quilt. Love all those bright and cheery squares of pretty pattern and colour. Don't they look fabulous with the white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The New Modern is so bright and cheery with the white for contrast. I've always liked that look!

      Delete
  4. A huge bed is great, but the quilt needs to be huge too ;) Pretty squares, it's going to be a fun and bright quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete