Saturday, May 9, 2020

Something new and something old


The new thing is this quilt top. Which I started and finished this week. 
 The idea was to use large rectangles arranged in a loose half drop fashion. 
All of the rectangles were suppose to be of similar style print and intensity.
I got the general idea from this advert out of an old Country Living magazine from 2011. 
 I liked the look of the big rectangles of fabric but I did not want to make a queen size quilt so I scaled it down 
and played with the layout.
But I did not really have enough prints with same intensity in their colors so I don't think it was as successful as the inspiration.
But it was easy and fun to experiment and it will make a fine donation quilt.
This next top was all but finished 5 years ago but not quite the right size and I just could not settle on 
that last fabric choice.  These Amy Butler prints are wonderful but I have a hard time matching
 them with fabrics outside their line.
I recently found the blue and green fab (top and bottom borders) at my local quilt store.
Bought a !/2 yard for the borders.  Brought it home, auditioned it and then began to dither...so it sat for awhile longer.
Finally got it out this week,  didn't really like it any better or worse but thought 'it's just time to get it done!'
It's on the quilt frame now.  I'm OK with the borders but think maybe I should have made it solid?  You know how it goes,  all that second guessing...
I did however decide to make a pieced back for it which I think came out quite nice and used up a fair bit of '30's fabrics which have been sitting around for bout 20 years!
I'm really liking these pieced backs.  They're fun to make and 'tho I'm not really making a dent in my stash it kind of gives the illusion that I am!  LOL
I hope you are all safe and sound!
Have a good week!  CW

4 comments:

  1. Well, I love both the old and the new and the wonderful pieced backing. I do love large pieces of big floral prints. This one is delicious! Stay safe and healthy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I think I will try the big rectangles idea again maybe all in pastel florals? I think I have more in my stash to choose from. take care!

      Delete
  2. I like the pieced border- it makes the center tumble outward in a happy way which is fitting for Amy Butler fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karen, I love Her color schemes they are very bright and cheerful!!! take care!

    ReplyDelete