Sunday, February 20, 2022

Done and Done!

The beach scene is done!  I got the sky fabric from Spoonflowers in plenty of time and once that problem was solved I got the top together and quilted in a jiffy.
I bordered the scene with a wide binding.  The fabric was one of the "challenge" fabrics.  I thought it made a pretty good choice for the border,  Problem was, all I was given was a FQ.  Not enough for a border and binding.  But since this is a wall hanging I reasoned it did not really need a folded over french binding. So I went with a wrap around border/binding in one.
I love the look.  The simple flat edge looks great with the composition which also has that flat look.
I had big ideas for the quilting.  Adding different textures for sand, water and sky but I liked the kind of smoothness of all the surfaces and worried I might mess that up with my doodles so I quilted it really simply. Just ditch work in the major seams.  

                                                    I managed to finish my other project too!

The scrappy border makes a nice drop around the bed.  To bad I didn't make it quite wide enough for the King size to get the full effect.  It will work nicely on a Queen size bed.
I have mixed feeling about this quilt.  I like the way it turned out.  It's wonky and chaotic but I think it holds together as a composition.  The orphan blocks given to me by my guild friends make it very personal and special.  It started originally as a quilt for CZU fire victims Quilt project but then liked it so much I decided to keep it and make another quilt for the project.  And this is the quilt that I've been working on, struggling with and finally resolved (finished) during these difficult times.  I like this quilt a lot but I don't really want to live with it and I haven't any use for it.  Oh well,  I will probably keep it for awhile and then give it to someone who would like to live with it!
Both of these quilts are going in our local Quilt Show next week.  I still have to sew on labels and sleeves but I'm glad I got them done this past week seeing as how my list of volunteer chores for the QS is fairly lengthy...
Have a great week!
take care, cw





 

3 comments:

  1. I love both quilts! Your beach quilt is so cleverly done. I love the wave action. And that giant scrap quilt just makes me smile! Have fun at the show. I cannot wait to go to one in person this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Congratulations on two great finishes, Claire! I can’t wait to see them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sky--it's perfect. Both quilts are standouts--can't wait to see them in the show!

    ReplyDelete