Monday, April 11, 2022

Hospice Donations

 I have three donation ready for Hospice.   The first one is the one I posted about in my last post the other two are pictured below:
This one has been sitting in my sewing room finished except for the binding for probably 20 years.  The blocks were left over from a 9 in 9 patch quilt made with '30's style repro fabrics.  

The blocks were actually not Leftovers but  technically Rejects from a larger quilt I was making for my sister.  I had shown her a photo of a '30's style 9 in 9 patch quilt and she really liked it  I studied the picture carefully so's to get  the right color balance etc. and it included several red fabrics.  But when I finished all the blocks and laid them out for her approval she said she didn't like the Red !  Probably a little more conversation over the details of the original photo and I might have avoided my miscalculation.  So back I went and made 6 more blocks featuring the pastels that drew my sisters interest leaving me with the rejected red blocks.  

Often when I make a really big quilt I will make a smaller sample piece to explore how best to quilt the larger quilt.  These Rejects worked into that plan.
What I was really interested in was figuring out ways to free hand those white in-between spaces.  Since the larger quilt had about 200 + /- of those spaces to be quilted!  The quilting needed to be something fairly simple that I could repeat 'free hand' many times.
I tried all kinds of loopy patterns and I ended up using the pattern in the lower left.  Really simple and I could do it over and over with reasonable accuracy.
Here's the final quilt...
And no Red!
After I finished the large quilt I lost interest in the Sample and I wasn't really thrilled with the quilting being as how some were  pretty "experimental"?  But lately I've been trying to clean out a bit and I thought what the heck, put a binding on it, give it a good washing ( the fluffing up helped hide some of the quilting boo boos) and call it done and donated!

The patches in this quilt were a flea market find.  Lots of fun fabric.
Quilted with a nice overall quilt pattern another finish and ready to go!
I hope you all have a great week.  Happy Spring Holidays however you celebrate!
take care, cw


1 comment: