Saturday, September 12, 2015

Another UFO- DONE!!!!

I did not have a lot of sewing time this summer but my husband asked me to make a wall hanging for a blank spot on our cabin wall and this project came to mind.
I started this wall hanging in Judy Sisneros' class,  I think it was called 'Strippy Landscapes', or something like that?  I can't remember, it was probably almost 20 years ago!  You can see the water and foreground are strips, simply stitched.  This was the technique being taught. Then I appliquéd the boat on top.  It is a fairly simple technique to get a relatively realistic result.  Below is the picture that inspired the project.
That's a photo of the Triton cove, Hood Canal, WA. where our cabin is located (at very low tide).  The wooden boat is our 4 oar row boat almost beached in the eel grass.  I think my version is a reasonable rendering?!
I don't know why it took me so long to finish.  I think it was mostly that I did not have any place in my house that I wanted to display it.  But it seemed just right for the cabin since it was so close to the spot that inspired it?!
I hope you all had a wonderful summer, sewing or not!!!
cheers, CW

7 comments:

  1. It is beautiful Claire! You did an excellent job turning the photo into a quilt. I hope it will always bring fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great! Looks like you may have injected a little bit more blue sky than what's in the picture? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and a good rendition. How did you do the trees? You must be back--I didn't count the weeks, so I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment. The trees were shreded mossy green and dark green flannel that I glued down and then did a lot of thread play on top. It's a good short cut way to make a textured tree look.
    cheers, CW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's gorgeous and love seeing your inspiration photo for it. A beautiful finish and tribute, Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really close to the photograph! Great job! So glad you're BACK!! When are we going to get together? This week or next?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I love the checked border too.

    ReplyDelete