Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Backings

I recently finished a top with a Japanese / Geisha theme.  I was not real thrilled with the project.  I'd saved the fabrics for a long time but when I finally got around to making it I could not really remember the original inspiration, except that I liked the apple blossom print that I intended to use in the border....Oh well press on!  I got the top finished and stuck it away for several months.

Meanwhile it made me think about my stash and how I have a stack of Asian fabrics that I've collected over the years and yet how few Asian themed quilts I've actually made!  Not to mention my collection of South East Asian Batiks and indigos from around the Pacific Rim and then there's the Yukata fabrics from Japan.  All of which I love to pull out and look at but rarely use.

I think the large Japanese prints are really beautiful, but who wants to cut them up?  The're so pretty just the way they are!  I decided maybe it was time to give them away or find another way to use them!  Which brings me back to the afore mentioned top.  What better way to use up some of those large scale prints than to use large pieces of them to make a backing for that Top!  Sounds like a win-win!
I know this is nothing New,  but I've always had what I might call 'backing fabrics' that were not great for one reason or another and I used those to put together backs.
But I always considered the fabrics pictured above 'to good' for using in backs.
But good heavens I have more fabric than I can use in 10 life times of sewing, so  I told myself get over it and use the 'good stuff' on the backs!
Going through my Asian fabrics yet again was a lot of fun.  And the simplicity of sewing the pieces together was fun too!  Win-Win!
Stay safe, Stay Healthy!
Peace, CW

3 comments:

  1. I would have a hard time cutting those fabrics too, but I like how they work together here. Who says a quilt back can't be just as pretty as the front?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pieced backing! I bet you will be so glad you did this. We live with the backings just as well as the tops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pieced back is unique engaging, and not at all a waste of those beautiful and treasured fabrics, Claire. I believe quilt backs should be beautiful, reflecting the front of the quilt, as they, too, will be seen and enjoyed! (Now I'm curious what your top looks like! )

    ReplyDelete