Sunday, September 22, 2019

Working on my UFO's

Note:  If you are a SBAMQG member looking for the Block of the Every Other Month instructions use the tab in the upper left for that link.

Several years ago I tried  a self imposed system to reduce my number of UFO's.  I called it my 2 for 1 program.  I had to finish two projects for every one project I started.  It worked pretty well for awhile.  Of course being a mouse attracted to shinny things (well actually fabric)  I inevitably fell off the wagon and got distracted by this, that and the other...

I have decided to renew my 'vow' so-to-speak and reinstitute my 2 for 1 system but go even further.  I will work only on UFO's until further notice.  I know that seems like a tall order but I have so many  I don't think I will be bored for quite some time.  I just have to keep from getting distracted by all those bright shinny things.  And, oh ya, stop buying fabric.  That would help with the stash reduction
as well.

So here's my first effort toward that goal.  This top was not that old.  I think I started it about a year ago.  The order in which things get done is not so important, just that I keep pulling out old projects, not starting new ones.  I got it quilted and bound this past week.  One down,  and a couple hundred to go!
I rarely buy patterns but I liked this one a lot so I thought I would try following some directions for once.  It said  'fat quarter friendly'  so I used this ADORNit packet of fat quarters.  It turned out there were not enough fat quarters in the packet so I only made 5 of those large square in squares and then I had to monkey around with the layout to make it all fit so even when I tried to follow directions I can't seem to do it!  But that's OK,  I'm reasonably happy with the results and it will make a fine donation quilt. 
I liked this floral print but I did not think all of the fabrics in the packet worked equally well with each other.   I ended up not using a few.
I  quilted it very simply but I think the straight line quilting is an excellent compliment to the general geometry of the composition. 
As usual I backed the quilt with a nice yarn dyed flannel.  Warm and cozy! 
My longarm is definitely a huge help in my new UFO reduction program.  I already have the next top pinned in the frame.
I don't know how long this will last, but I'm optimistic!
Have a great week!
cheers, CW

10 comments:

  1. A lovely quilt! I too have recently made this pattern, in a brighter palette, 'bohemian on point'. And, it sounds like you have a good plan to tackle your UFO's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda! I knew I'd seen it somewhere recently, but I could not place it. I liked your 'Bohemian on Point' a lot and part of why I decided to finish mine! Thanks for the inspiration! cheers!

      Delete
  2. Great plan to tackle the ufos. I might just follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brenda! keep us posted! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing how solids work so well with this pattern. It is a beautiful quilt, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to laugh! You're following (or trying to) a pattern? That's got to be painful for someone as creative as you are!
    And not buying fabric?? HA Good luck with that one. Best way is to stay off the computer!
    Do you really have that many ufos???
    Congrats on getting that first one done! One down!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randy! I thought you'd get a good laugh from that. So far so good on my UFO program. I have not started anything new and it's been a whole week! LOL
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see some progress on the ufo's. I really like the floral print in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! That print was probably the one that drew my eyes to that packet. But I found it was a little incongruous with some of the other prints. There were two in the packet that I did not use at all. But it's a fun pattern. I will make another one after I've 'paid down' on my UFO program! cheers!

    ReplyDelete