Saturday, October 5, 2019

One Finished Finish and some Tops finished

I've kind of been balancing larger projects with smaller ones so this week I finished quilting and binding this baby quilt.  The genesis of this project was finding those cute flannel squares in the guild flea market.  Easy peasy, it will make a nice donation quilt.
I used this wonderful snoopy flannel for the backing.  It's really soft.  Perfect for a baby!
I also finished a few tops!  Some how putting on borders is a challenge for me so I have a lot of projects that are waiting for borders.  Hopefully I can get them quilted pretty quick now that they are finished!
I added the blue strips to the top and bottom and the yellow flower print (an old skirt) all the way around.  I thought it matched the vintage blocks pretty well.



 This quilt had a lot of structural problems starting with the piecing.   I wondered if it was even worth salvaging these orphan blocks they were so wonky and rather loosely hand pieced.  But I decided to put them together hoping that the quilting will help stabilize everything.  We shall see!
You might remember this next top from a post in Sept.  These were a whole set of orphan blocks given to me as part of a "Thank You" gift from my guild.  I was stunned that someone would part with a whole set of these beautiful blocks!  But I talked to the person who gave them to me and she said that she got them in a block swap and when she finely received her blocks they just didn't 'wow' her the way she had initially thought they would.  I think they are gorgeous!  And I'm really happy with the border.  I found both those fabrics in my stash!!

This last border finish is a pretty old UFO.  I think I started it 3 or 4 years ago.  Every year about this time I'd get it out and work on the blocks but this year I was determined to get it done before Halloween so we could enjoy it's seasonal design!  This one will get moved to the front of the line for quilting so hopefully it will be done soon!!!
Sooo many fun fabrics in this one.  My stash of Halloween fabric grew quite a bit while working on this project.  But I have another Halloween project that will hopefully put a dent in that.

Well that's all for now.  I hope to get some more "Finished Finishes" done by next week.  I have stayed true to my goal to not Start anything new!  It was hard.  I did fiddle around with a few stacks of fabric,  I didn't cut anything so that doesn't count, right?!
I hope you are all enjoying the Fall!  It's been really nice weather here!
cheers, CW





10 comments:

  1. Quilt that wonky, hand-pieced quilt really heavily. If you can do a wavy line across every seam, that may help it hang together. You will have some lovely finished quilts soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, I will really need to go over each seam. I do like doing wavy line quilting so I might be able to get it all quilted down. cheers!

      Delete
  2. All great finishes, Claire! I bet you can guess my favorite - yep, the vintage one! That must have really been a challenge, but you were clearly up to it and I'm loving the result! Totally quirky, in a Rod Kiracofe kinda way. I hope you're keeping that one 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes I like the quirkiness of it, just worried it might fall apart! But I thin Farm Quilter has the right idea. Itjust needs to be quilted over those seams and all will be well!! cheers!

      Delete
  3. So many fun projects! I love the diamonds with the blue border,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the quilting is enough to hold your vintage blocks down securely. I love how those block swap blocks turned out - I can't imagine giving them away either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can swing it, that quilt is next after the Halloween quilt so we'll know soon!

      Delete
  5. I just love the turquoise/aqua/blue quilt with the orange squares. As you mentioned in an earlier post about it, the secondary pattern adds so much interest.
    Great choice to add the turquoise across the top and bottom of the diamond quilt. It carries the eye all the way around the quilt, picking up the turquoise diamonds along the horizontal edges.
    One does wonder about the loose stitching on piece blocks. I have several hexagon blocks that have loose stitches that are really close to the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that color combo! It is so pretty! I wonder if the loose stitching was not so fine Because people figured they'd be putting a lot of stitching in the quilt with the quilting so the piecing was not so critical?!

    ReplyDelete