Friday, January 1, 2021

Final finish of 2020 and first finish of 2021 !

 I got this cute little baby quilt finished and in the mail to My Nephew and his wife on Monday.  They are expecting their first child in Feb.  The Shower tho' is on Sunday and I wanted to make sure it got there in time for the party.

I was pleased with the overall design.  Those animal motifs from Robert Kauffman were really fun to play with and work into the design. 
And as an added bonus I found this cute outfit to go with!
It's not often you can coordinate your quilt with your outfit!  

For my first finish of the year I dug deep into my back log of UFO's.
I started this quilt about 8 years ago.   
The only place to buy fabric near where I was living at the time was Walmart.
 The selection was pretty limited and some of the gray goods used to print upon are not best quality like you would expect in a quilting store.  But they had some FQ bundles with larger pieces of coordinating fabrics and I bought the set.
Have you ever had the experience of being both drawn to and repelled by color scheme at the same time?!
That was my experience when I finished the top.  Was it to loud, cluttered, busy?  I just could not identify what was not working so I put it away for a long time.
But since I've been working on making bed quilts for CZU I'm really trying to see the potential in some of my more seriously abandon UFO's.
This is a twin size so I thought maybe some young person might like the loud, bright busy ...whatever? 
So I started quilting it Monday after I finished the baby quilt and finished today!
I backed it with this scrappy Minky made with a whole variety of end pieces that I'd been saving for a kid quilt.  I figure if they get tired of the front they can always turn the quilt over to rest their eyes!
The patterns of the quilting on the back are pretty cool too!
I'm still not crazy about the front but I'm keeping my fingers crossed somebody is going to like it and take it home at the give-away.
It feels great to finish another ancient UFO!
Happy New Year !
Take care,  cw


10 comments:

  1. Just remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Someone will definitely love that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I'm hopeful. At least I know they give-away group won't send it back. haha! take care

      Delete
  2. Nice new baby quilt--those little elephants are adorable!!
    Great job rescuing that UFO--I have quite a few abandoned (half-quilts?)
    UFO's hanging in my closet of despair (;)))--I hope to try to rescue some with "fresh eyes" this month...
    hugs, stay safe Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The closet of Despair!!! LOL! I know what you mean tho' Good luck with you rescue project, it's noble work you do! take care, cw

      Delete
  3. Delightful improvisational quilts for kids, Claire. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the matching elephant garment. Great finish on both--yay! I really like the green and purple quilt! I'm sure it will be snapped up. To someone else, it won't look too bright at all. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I went to the virtual shower yesterday and the mom to be I think liked the onesie more than she liked the quilt! LOL, best layed plans etc. Happy New Year! cw

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what? I can see what you mean about the colours in the second quilt, but the more I started at it, the more I liked it. I love the wee animal quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaja! I looked at it again after reading your comment and it looks different! I really appreciate your positivity! Happy New Year! cw

      Delete