Awhile back I was making a bunch of samples for a new class I call Beautiful Bars (see description and more samples here ). I ran into a few of those border issues on a couple of them. While cleaning / organizing one of my storage cupboards I found some more sashing fabric for this quilt. Problem #1 solved!
The design idea behind these bar quilts is to pick striped / banded fabric prints that can be cut selvages to selvage. When sashed they create their own 'blocks'. It creates a nice pattern on what is otherwise a very simple quilt. This vintage banded fabric by Jo Morton for Andover is a great choice for such a project. This quilt is about 54" x 68" if not for the lack of sashing fabric I would have finished it in a jiffy!
The center is made from strips cut selvage to selvage and the border is cut on the straight of the grain.
This quilt was lacking border fabric too but a thorough search of my stash came up with zip. Both these quilts will make nice charitable quilts but I did not want to go shopping to correct their problems, so on this one I just had to punt and get over it!
I'm waiting for my 40% off coupon from Beverlies to come in the mail so I can go buy a big supply of batting. When I get that I will finish my info. post on my quilt frame.
Cheers, Claire W.