Saturday, December 17, 2016

Some more Finishes!!

I've been on a roll to finish tops that have been hanging around.  Partly to reach my goal of making a certain number of charity quilts this year and partly just to get some things DONE, FINISHED, OUT OF MY HAIR!

Today's finish is this Orphan block project.  I started it last summer at Randy's quilt retreat in Sunriver.  It's made up of a whole bunch of Thank you blocks given to me by my guild member's for being BOM chairperson last year. Read more here http://cspoonquilt.blogspot.com/2016/07/update-on-orphan-blocks-project.html.
I like to call these Composite Quilt's.  Made from a bit of this and a bit of that.  It was great fun quilting this quilt because there was a lot of room for variety in the quilting.  I kind of just doodled around... 
Different shapes call for different doodles, I like  the variety! 
I just love these butterfly blocks they are so cute!!
The kite block is what got me started on this quilt,  the challenge was to figure out a way to incorporate it into the quilt design.
I decided not to fight it,  just put it in the middle (more less).
The backing is a lovely yarn dyed flannel plaid, my favorite backing for a lap quilt.
I used this 3 loop pattern a lot in the triangles.  It's interesting how the look changes depending on the  orientation of the triangles in the block, compare above and below. 
Some of the blocks were really old like this blue and white one below. It was hand pieced!  
Houses are always fun to quilt, so many details to out line or add... 
I really like the way this quilt turned out!  I was going to donate it to a charity but I think I may hang on to it for a gift.
More Finishes to follow, ttfn.
Happy weekend!
Cheers, Claire W.

4 comments:

  1. I like this quilt and it's nice to see the quilting up close. I really like those butterflies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how this turned out too. You've made the blocks look as if they belonged together right from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Composite Quilts!!!! Oh I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It came out really nicely! Weren't you working on more than one of these?
    The quilting is also super!! You are amazing!!! And very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete