Sunday, April 5, 2020

Two from One

I hope this note finds you all well and safe!  We continue to be "Sheltering at Home".  We stay busy.  We walk most days and we continue to garden.  And Of course I continue to SEW!

Last week I sewed a bunch of Masks.  Not really fun sewing but I thought I'd do my bit.  This week I spent more time in the garden and did some quilting.

Two from one refers to the fact that I took an old top and cut it to make 2 quilts.  The original top dates from 2012.  Barbara Brackman was writing a Blog about the 1812 War and quilts that were made in the early part of the 1800's.  A gal in Canada (sorry I don't remember the name of her blog)  decided to host a quilt challenge.  The details are a little sketchy in my memory now but I think the idea was to make a quilt the size of a soldiers bed roll.  It was suppose to be 36" x  60".

I thought I would make one and then donate it but when I finished the top I realized the dimensions were not really practical for a lap quilt. To long and skinny.  I put some more borders on it to make it wide enough to be used as a lap quilt but it still wasn't quite right.  So it joined the ever growing pile of UFOs.

Fast forward to Now and my resolve to finish that stack of UFOs.  I was determined to make something with this top.
It's just tooo long and skinny and then I thought maybe if I rotate it I can get two smaller lap quilts out of it?!
The middle part became one quilt and the two ends got sewn with another strip of the floral print to make a smaller quilt.
I tried several different configurations to join the two end pieces...
I finally settle on this one.
Since I've had a lot of sewing time I got both of them quilted and bound!
The one on the left is the right size for Wheel chair bound Vets (36" x 48") and the one on the right will go to a Hospice patient.
Using just two fabrics was kind of limiting for me.  But it was satisfying to solve the problem with the top and now it's done!!
Stay safe!  cheers, CW


.

6 comments:

  1. Great job making two out of one; they will be such a comfort to the recipients.;)))
    I made a jelly roll quilt a few months back and it turned out H U G E !! Way too big for me to handle--I hope to cut it in half (width wise) and make two smaller lap quilts for my little granddaughters (6 & 7 yrs old). Since it has super bright pinks (KF fabric) in it, I think they would really like them...
    Slicing it up has me a bit tentative...but after seeing how you made out..I will give it a try...
    it's just fabric, right??Hahaha..
    ~ ~ ~ waving from afar Julierose ;)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect solution. If the two halves are a little on the small size after cutting you can put borders to get them to the right size! And a Jelly roll quilt could be cut either N/S or E/W and the pattern would still be interesting! win-win! take care, cw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Brilliant, Claire! I actually love all three versions. Hey, if you have any more of that border print you're trying to get rid of, I think I could find a home for it 😎

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those soldier's quilts were so very narrow. I don't know if men were narrower and shorter then than now but I'd be hard-pressed to stay warm with such a narrow quilt.
    I love your resolve to solve this problem, Claire. And I like that you photographed as you went along and posted the photos to show what you were thinking. Great job! (Though your last photo does not show.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nancy, thanks for your comments and the alert to the pic at the end. It was weird when I went to look at it in the Edit mode it just showed a big circle with a dash but it was in my photos library. Anyway I have reposted it if you are interestied in seeing them side by side. Take care, cw

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know. Both quilts look great!

      Delete