Thursday, September 20, 2012

'Will Sew for Free Scraps...

My friend Randy let me paw through her scrap bag last week.  Now, Randy is a long time, prolific quilter, consequently her scrap bag is deep, wide and full of lots of wonderful surprizes so this was not just any foraging event!
 By the time I got home I was feeling more than a little guilty about how greedy I had been.  Randy had mentioned she was in a block swap of 4-patches.  The pattern is called Dipped -in - Chocolate.  The 4-patches finish at 1.5" !  To ease my quilty conscience and say thank you I emailed Randy to say I would make some 4-patches for her.  With the scraps already cut there were lots that I could use without having to cut first so I whipped her up a bunch.
Here's a really neat trick for making 4-patches real quick-  this size 1.5" finished.
-Take 2 - 2.5" strips, minimum length I would say is 2.5" (yields 2,  4-patches) but for every 1.25" in    length you get another 4-patch
- put the strips right sides together and sew down each side with 1/4" seams.
-Cut the tube down the middle, (1.25") don't open seams or iron yet!
- now cut 1.25 units from each strip unit, no don't iron yet!
-Take the 2-patches, open and finger press to the darker fabric.
-flip the patches so's to nest the seams, with opposite prints touching - right sides together.
-sew along the edge that makes the seam flap pointing away from you. You know the drill.
-OK now you can iron.
I think by cuting the strips before you open the seams you get a more accurate cut and because the patches are so small,  finger pressing is suficient at that point and saves a lot of time too.
I made 120  4-patches this way in about 3.5 hours.  It's easy and it's fun and they are so cute.  Of course working from a free scrap bag makes it even more fun and the first cuts have already been made which saves time too!  cheers, CW

8 comments:

  1. I like the teeny tiny squares - quilting in inch always makes everything look so huge. 1" is 2,5 cm and I learned that you need to be a bit nuts to sew something smaller than 1 cm and in inch land everyone'S complainign at how tiny and fizzly it is to use 1" squares.

    And the no ironing part looks like it's written for me - I avoid ironing if I can. Sometimes it backfires, but mostly it safes time. Did I mention that I really don't like ironing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, you can come and help yourself to scraps any time you want!! Can't wait to see the 4-patches. I love your simple method. All this time I've been cutting my pieces one by one!!! OY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently received some scraps from Randy--I recognize some of those fabrics. That is a slick trick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very productive, love the 4-patch block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great technique for 4-patches! I'm off to try it for myself. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently made 20 four patch blocks and almost did them your way. I did wait to iron, but I love your tip of stitching on each side and then cut down the middle. I will try that next time.

    Love all your 'thrifty' quilts. I could pay the higher prices on fabric, but just refuse to pay them.

    blessings, jill
    new follower, found you on quilting qallery

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time I stumbled onto your blog and so enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for the four patches. I have a special ruler for half square triangles that has you do the same - sew down each side. I'm sewing Bonnie's "Midnight Flight" as my leader/ender project and I think it's time to make more four patches...so I'll be trying your four patch method soon. ( I love the dipped in chocolate pattern. Tiny is so fabulous)

    ReplyDelete

Various and Sundry

Not surprisingly my last post in April was to be followed by one in May, that  didnt happen😂.  Once again circumstances-conspired- against-...