Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Crafty Wednesday

 

I made this potholder with my granddaughter at the end of Oct.  I thought the finger loom would be a good activity for her.  I remember making these kind of potholders when I was about her age (7).
We used strips of old cut up t-shirts rather than the commercial loops. It made it a little more difficult but Ari got through more than half of the weaving before she asked for help to finish it.
.
I found this at the flea market a couple of years ago. 
What a hoot!
The old metal frames are definitely the best.
It was so much fun making the first one, when I got home from Indiana I made some more for Holiday gifts.
I really think they make the best potholder?!
And how many ways are there to use t-shirt scraps left over from t-shirt quilts?!
Well,  big pieces do make excellent rags...

Yesterday I found this at our local craft shop.
Klutz really does make nice craft kits / games of all kinds.  This one included a loom, some pretty colored cotton loops and this instruction book.  It was a bit pricey  ($20.) but I figured I could study the patterns in the book and then send it to my G-daughter for a holiday gift!
The colorful loops will probably be easier and a lot more fun for her to use.
Who knows maybe I'll make a bunch more and sew them together to make a rug!
Happy finger weaving!
take care, cw








8 comments:

  1. Those look like they would be a lot of fun to make! A rug like that would look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shasta, I might try making a little rug after the Holidays, I'll post something if I do. Happy Holidays! cw

      Delete
  2. What fun! I remember those. I think Ari will love the bright colors. Did you ever do spool knitting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Spool knitting is fun and another thing you can do with relatively young children. I have one of those large spools that you can buy commercially that you can weave a cap and I brought that to Indie too. We did not get around to that activity but I hope maybe next visit we will. Happy Holidays! cw

      Delete
  3. I still have my old metal hot pad frame. I'm sure your granddaughter will enjoy the loom, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fun and relaxing. I can generally make one potholder, start to finish, in an evening while watching TV. Happy Holidays, cw

      Delete
  4. Ha ha, I remember getting one of those for Christmas when we were kids. My sister and I made a bunch of potholders only to discover they either melted or flared, due to the synthetic content. Great gift idea, but better do the flame test on one of those loops first. Or be on the safe side and stick to your 100% cotton T-shirt scraps,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I remember getting some of those Polyester loops that melted! Grrrr. I don't remember the colors being so vivid when I was young either. The T-shirt strips really are the best! You can cut the strips pretty thick which in turn makes the potholders much thicker and stronger! Happy Holidays!!!cw

    ReplyDelete