Monday, February 1, 2021

Old Blocks, New Life

Another group of 'related UFO blocks probably dating from the mid-70's?!  Ah yes, 'dusty' blue and pink calicos. I got them put together to this point last April with the intention of making a Hospice lap quilt and then I lost interest.  Since this top was 50" square I thought with a few borders it would make a nice bed quilt to donate to the next CZU quilt giveaway.

The problem with blocks this old;  it's hard to find fabrics that jive with the fabrics in the blocks to make borders.  I dug deep into my stash and found the light print for the first border.  I thought it matched the background muslin pretty well.  The light blue calico  (2nd border) has probably been in my stash for at least ten years and matched those blues pretty well.  The dark blue calico was a flea market find which turned out to be enough for the outer border and the binding!!  That brought the overall size to 87" square!

I quilted it really simply.  In-the-ditch for the blocks and squiggly free motion stuff for the borders. 

 I think these old blocks may look pretty dated (and they are) but to the eyes of a none quilter they might be just the ticket to brighten up a new bedroom!  That is my hope...

                                 I hope you and your families are all safe and healthy!  take care, cw

                                       

6 comments:

  1. What a great way to revive these old blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice finish....i think many of us had a quilt like this at one point....tried and true sampler....somebody will love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the variety of Sampler quilts. I hope it found a good home! Thanks for stopping by! take care, cw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the colours seem quite dated, but your blue border does a great job of giving them a bit of a lift. They look much more modern by the time you have finished with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kaja, That was my hope! take care, cw

    ReplyDelete