Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Good Grief it's Already February!

 While I always think of t our local Guild Show as being at the end of February that isn't always quite accurate.  The Show is always the last Full weekend of February which means preparations start this year on the Weds. the 23rd!  So my last sewing day is the 22nd.  Which means I have 3 weeks to finish these two projects! YIKES!  

Well I have been picking away at both of them.  And I am making progress bit by bit but I have come into a couple of slow downs.   My Beach scene was shaping up nicely but I just could not fine the right Sky fabric!  Once I got all the other components together;  the beach, the water and the mountains the swatch of sky fabric was just not quite big enough.  I feel like the scale of these components is very important to the design and the sky needs to be big and grand to give it proper perspective.

I scoured the internet and went to two local shops.  I even purchased a few yards to audition with no success.  I finally broke down and went to Spoonflower.com.  An on line printing shop that has an extensive collection of more custom type printed fabrics and found something I think might work.  But they actually print as it's ordered so it will be another week and a half before the fabric arrives!  

In the mean time I am very pleased with the way the waves turned out!  I basically sewed two narrow strips in parallel like flanges into the edge of the water and then pressed them to kind of curl here and there like little waves lapping lazily onto the shore.   It's not perfect by any means but it kind of creates the desired effect?!

I think once I  get the Sky together I will be able to finish it in a day or two.

In the mean time I have been picking away at getting the outer border on this quilt finished.  I know it probably does not look much different than the last time I posted a picture of it but now all those scrappy squares around the outer border are almost all sewn together.  Once that's done the rest of the borders will be a snap!  Quilting it will be a challenge but I feel up to the task!
I hope you are all well, warm and dry!
Happy February!
take care, cw






8 comments:

  1. Your ocean quilt looks amazing! I hope the sky fabric you ordered will be perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I love both of these. I especially love that crazy medallion. Delicious! Your beach scene is fun. I love how you did the wave action. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with your Spoonflower sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy, I'll keep you posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m on the same racetrack, Claire! Only four labels left to go. I adore your beach scene, and the waves you created are simply brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, only I think you are much farther down the track than I am. I have several sleeves and their labels to sew on besides finishing these two projects. I need to put all that on the List! thanks for the reminder!!! take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius waves! I looked for sky fabric and in the process found my insurance cards! Strange bedfellows in moving boxes. I haven't unpacked all my fabric yet--I hope your spoonflower fabric is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meant to say I love this quilt! Well, both of them, but I was thinking of the beach scene.

    ReplyDelete