Monday, July 4, 2022

Happy 4th!

 We aren't doing much for the Holiday.  It's kinda hard to get excited about Independence Day when around the country and the world it feels like Freedom is being threatened in so many ways. But I guess I'm still free to print that opinion so that's something!

Our grand kids are visiting which is great fun. But definitely challenging energy wise.  When they went off to the beach  today to visit their cousins it was nice to have some quiet time.

I've been doing a bit of sewing.  I finished another Sample for the class I hope to teach later this month.  I say 'hope'  because sign-ups have been slow.  'Might have to re-offer  the class in the Fall.  Such is the pace of Summer scheduling?!

Anyway,  I wanted to make a sample using the 2 for 1 block technique with a more organized 'look' so potential students could see that the technique could be used for more symmetrical designs.  I decided to make a table runner (smaller project /less time to make)  and I saw this really fun pattern which I think showed off using these blocks really well!

I quick turned it to save time.  I also like the nice flat edge that it makes.  Less likely to set a glass down on it's edge and have it tip over.
I used a 'batik' sarong  for the backing.  The Batik is in quotes because it's actually a print but it has a traditional Indonesian batik printed pattern on it.  The grey-goods were not really great.  I think it might even be a synthetic/ cotton blend but it was OK for this purpose.
This is now the 4th project I have made using this fun technique.  Here's a recap of the other 3.
This one I posted most recently.  
This one I made several years ago;
And this one is maybe from 2016...
I think I still really like the scrappy treatment the best!
But I'm warming up to the the geometry of the more symmetrical version.
Well, sorry there's not more red, white and blue spirit here but I hope you are all enjoying the Holiday in whatever way you choose.
take care, cw











5 comments:

  1. Wow. That’s quite a variety of looks you get out of that one block, Claire. The table runner looks complicated, but after seeing the block I can see how it’s done. It’s very elegant! And I love the back! The scrappy ones are very much right up my alley, as you might guess. Not that I have many scraps laying around, ha ha!
    I’m with you on the ambivalence of the holiday this year. It makes me feel bittersweet, and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Claire, I wrote a comment this morning but it looks like it didn’t post. Grrr. Now I’m trying to remember what I said! Lol! Well, I love what you did with that single block design. Quite a variety! The runner looks fairly complicated until I looked at the block by itself, then I can see how you made it. Fairly easy, and it’s very elegant. Now, you must know the scrap ones are very much up my alley. Hm. I might be able to dig up some scraps around here …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps. I’m with you on the holiday. It seems like we don’t have a heck of a lot to celebrate this year. By the sounds of it, there were even less fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three of those quilts are so cool. I love the scrappy look. I felt the same as you about the 4th...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just caught up on your posts. I enjoyed seeing the hawk, your hubby amongst the very tall hill side flowers, and of course your quilting. These blocks in the different colorways are very striking...is it a liberated log cabin, kind of block. Happy Stitching from me!

    ReplyDelete