Friday, July 22, 2022

Lots of Finishes!

 My Husband went to music camp last week so I got a whole LOT of sewing done!  Here's a quick run down:

I dipped into my basket of Batik leftovers and put this top together.  I had seen a picture of a tile wall with triangles and square tiles separated in rows by large bands of solid color and it gave me the idea to use these scrappy triangle and square blocks in a similar way.  I'm liking it!  It was fun and went together really fast.

I also Had a short stack of kids quilts that had been waiting for bindings for some time and I got those all done too!
Such cute fabrics!
And the backing flannel print too!
Another flannel quilt, this one I finished recently but stalled in the 'binding' dept. too.
These next two were actually Orphan projects from the CZU project ( quilts for wildfire victims).The project put the call out for bed quilts but they got a lot of donations of kid quilts some of which were given to families with kids but some needed finishing.  They were half quilted so I fish quilting them and got them bound and they will go to the guild's charitable group for kid.
I thought this one had pretty neat graphics.  A fun way to teach about the Solar System.
And ya gotta love a quilt with Dr. Suess fabric!
And last but not least I made another sample for one of the classes I'm going to teach...
I've surely gone through some dry spells the past couple of years but I feel pretty good about my out-put lately!
A parting shot from the Green House of UC Santa Cruz.  
This is the "bud" of a Carrion flower.  It is a rear tropical plant that booms only once every 5- 10 years.  When the flower opens it stinks like rotting meat which attracts carrion feeding bugs which serve as the pollinators!  An unusual survival strategy to say the least !
It's on display at the UCSC Arboretum.  It's kind of a big deal.  They have been caring for this plant since 2013 hoping that it would fulfill it's life cycle!
Here's a graphic that explains...
I hope you have a great weekend!
take care, cw











4 comments:

  1. Nice work, Claire! Now you get a break, right? I’ve been curious about the carrion plant, but I think I’ll pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a curiosity but I'm kind of glad when is was not open yet! I hear it really is quite stinky!

      Delete
  2. wow lots of lovely projects and so colorful! great progress..

    ReplyDelete