Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Busy Summer!

Well I really did not expect to have such a big time gap between this post and my last!  But there it is, a Busy Summer, that's my excuse and Im sticking to it!  We've been to visit family and another trip to the cabin and so much yard work it makes my back ache just thinking about it!   But here and there I've gotten a few quilts made!

Most recently quilted and ready for binding, another sample for my "Modern Baby Quilt" design class.

Claire Markowitz the owner of Santa Cruz Vac and Sew told me the soft colors are the thing for baby quilts these days.  I dunno but I still like the brights better.  I'm going to make another sample with that in mind...
I finished off this top the other day,  It was just a wee bit to short for a Camp Erin quilt so I added the dark purple strips to the top and bottom,  
I think the dark strips really help frame it much better and I'm going to use that fabric for the binding to.
And then I decided to piece the backing...
Piecing backings is so satisfying and Stash busting!
I think I only had to trim 4 or 5 of the pieces to make everything fit!
While we were at the cabin I did find a bit of time to sew.  More fun with my flannel scrap bag!
This will make a nice Vet's lap quilt with a little tweaking.
Well that's all for the sewing, but here's a parting photo.
We went to Berkeley to meet up with my sister and brother-in-law and we took a walk down near the Marina.
The view across the Bay never ceases to amaze...
That tall tower, left of center, that appears to be taller than all of the hills in the background (because it is!)  is the Sales Force Tower.  It's hard to tell from this distance but I think it's modeled after the "Pickle" in London.  At least it has that shape, only much taller!  Crazy!

It was a beautiful day and the weather was very pleasant.  You'd never know these low rolling hills were once a Landfill back in the 50's and 60's!  Then the "Save the Bay" group was formed and they put and end to dumping Garbage in the Bay!  Sometimes Social Actions really work! 

Sunday was very nice and mild but yesterday and today temperatures are in the 90's, waaaaa.  I know, us Coastal folks are wimps when it comes to Heat Waves!
I hope your Summer's end is a gentle one!
take care, cw





5 comments:

  1. You make such fun and interesting quilts, Claire. I like them all but I really, really like the blocks for the vet's lap quilt. So sorry about your heat. It will probably cool down in the next few weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, like soft colors (like the other Claire) and I adore the baby quilt at the top of your post. Yep its been pretty hot, but it hasn't hit 100 yet, so I guess we shouldn;t complain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup your right. But sometimes it's hard not to even tho" it doesn't really do any good! LOL

      Delete
  3. You are so generous with the quilts you make! I know they will be loved and appreciated. Gorgeous view!

    ReplyDelete